Re: National/Local Gradings

George Fairhurst wrote:

> I am also bewildered at this thread regarding National and Local
> gradings we had a committee meeting on Sunday morning and I put the
> question to all present including our representative for the North West
> Counties Brass Band Association and was met with a negative result and
> "what was I talking about.?" Perhaps it's all to do with the South but
> if there is anyone out there who can put some light on the matter then I
> would also be grateful so that I can pass it on to our bands.
> George Fairhurst (Pemberton Old Wigan Band)

I don't know the whole story George but I do know that for some contests in
the North West local gradings are no longer used.  When Harrogate competed
at Rochdale Contest in 2000 we played against bands in their local (ie North
West) grading, whereas this year National Gradings were applied.  Peter
Bates explained this phenomenon to me, so he would be your man...  Also,
Yorkshire and Humberside BBA have abandoned local gradings for their Annual
Contest in Scarborough this year (at our suggestion).

On this issue I would personally prefer National gradings to be used
everywhere, to indicate an absolute standard, so that when we travel to a
different region
to take part in a contest we are placed in the correct section, to ensure a
fair contest so far as is possible.  When I go to hear a band I like to know
what to expect - if they claim to be Championship Section standard I'll have
certain expectations, and might be disappointed to hear a Third Section band
trading in on a local grading gained in a poorly attended contest...

But if National gradings are to be used exclusively I feel that there really
needs
to be a greater flexibility in promotion and relegation.  In such a
subjective
area as band contesting the opinion of one man based on one short
performance is surely insufficient evidence of a band's quality, and the
time scale is much too long: we won our Area contest this year but will
remain in that section owing to two years' average points - given a
reasonably good result next March we might finally be promoted in January
2003!

> Not qualified for the Finals !!!!!!******!!!!!
> But the B Band did !!!!!!!!!!!!

So you were all looking forward to a nice day out in Preston were you?

Cheers

David