Re: New Grading System

Just to add in a few points about this discussion. In Scotland there was a
development group set up following last years AGM, the purpose of the group is
to basically gather the thoughts of bands on various topics ( registration,
contests, youth organisation, financing etc) and present a paper back to this
years AGM. The paper will outline the problems faced by bands, and their ideas
for improvements. One area which is covered in detail is contests and
adjudication.

The current Scottish system is that the top two bands in each section at the
regional contest are promoted, no aggregates (so, for example, Harrogate by
winning their first section would be promoted in October to the Championship
section). Relegation is over a three year aggregate. SABBA are proposing to
bring in the promotion over three years aggregate system up here, but I know for
a fact many band will vote against that one.

The development group have asked for bands opinions on a new, fairer, promotion
and relegation system. We have had several ideas, but the main one seems to be
basing the gradings over three or four contests in the year, including the
regional contest. The actual structure of how this would be achieved has not
been discussed, but the group has had several ideas presented to them which will
all be included in the final paper.

My personal preference would be that all bands could attend as many contests as
they like during the contesting year (which up here starts after the AGM in
October), with their best three results (including the regional) counting
towards some kind of grading table. That means bands would need to contest at
the regional, plus another two contests in the year, which I think every
Scottish band does anyway. I would be inclined to promote the winner of each
section from the regional, with the second promotion place, and the two
relegation placed, based over the year.

If anyone has any other ideas on this please feel free to mail them direct to
me. I'll take a not of them all and present every idea to our development group.

<JT>