Re: "because"+recordings

I am situated 12000 miles from the U K and yet
> all I have to do is look
> up a catalogue or access "Just Music' web site and
> there it is. It seems to
> me that people either can't be bothered looking or
> they hope to get a copy
> on the cheap.

Hi,

I agree with you..........to a point. Mails do come up
asking where to get a particular piece of music, and
you do have to wonder why they didn't just try the
Just Music, Castle Music, and the several other
distributers and individual publishers on the web.
Ocassionally there is bound to be someone who is new
to the internet or perhaps doesn't feel very adept
with it, but surely not all the time. And yes, I've
seen bands play a piece "the same way as the Black
Dyke CD" and fail miserably.

Then again, I asked recently the list for help in
getting music for a youth band. Knowing where to get
music is of no help. Catalogues, with few exceptions,
give an idea of the standard. Take a look at the test
piece section of Just Music. You see the odd section
marked but for the most part, nothing. And, as I have
found at great cost, the standard of the pieces marked
at the the same level can vary wildly. I've tried just
buying scores and getting CD's (try getting CD's of
youth band music!!)etc, but still a large percentage
of music we'll buy will be unsuitable. It's a lot of
money to waste for such a small band, but we've just
had to accept this. I've had some very useful
suggestions and generous offers from people on this
list for which I am very, very grateful. While I
understand your points and no doubt there are some
chancers out there, please bear in mind sometimes when
bands ask for help with music, instruments, CDs, etc,
their need is genuine.

N.