RE: reposting of 1st old boys sponcership in plain text

Mark

<The 1st Old Boys Association Silver Band are delighted to announce a unique
<sponsorship deal with fast ferry operator, SeaCat.

Just thought some comments on your sponsor might enlighten you if you use it
in your travels.
Seacat fast ferries were originally made in Tasmania. I believe they are now
manufactured under licence in various parts of the world.
Now Tasmania is part of Oz in political terms but is in fact an island south
of Oz and only hangs there due to a couple of large electric and telephone
cables connecting it to the mainland. (just kiddin Joyce) Comments and jokes
about Tasmania and Taswegians would I imagine be similar to comments about
the Isle of Man so I'll leave them alone for now.
Seacat operated a service using one of their smaller ferries across Bass
Strait between Tasmania and Pt Welshpool on the mainland for some 3 years
until economics pulled it to the North Sea area. I was involved in the local
port and so had very close dealings with its operation. Bass Strait can be a
very rough place and in good weather the crossing would take around 4 hours.
In rough weather anything up to 8 hours and they needed a truck to take the
full rubbish bags to the tip and a fire hose to clean off the aft deck. It
was consequently renamed the SpewCat.

Due to lack of local knowledge and undevine wisdom the ferry operators
constructed the berth beam on to the prevailing wind which is generally
fairly strong at Pt Welshpool. The trip over could take 4 hours and then
another 3 hours would be spent getting the last 15 ft to the berth. It was
then referred to as the SaltPussy. People were known to try the 'walk on
water' routine to get to dry land.
In summary, on a good day they are a great way to travel, on a bad day -
take a baritone - they don't leak like paper bags.
TiBaR (:-)} Bairnsdale or the Bush