RE: Photocopying

Well does this mean that the publishers will
included spare copies. It is always necessary even when you have
purchased music which our band does to have "safety copies".
IF they only give you 4 sole cornet copies and you have 5 players
and one copy gets lost what then? We routinely copy originals
and hand out photo copies so they can be marked up without damaging
originals and so that we are not stuck with missing parts.
There are many pieces in our 70 year old library where a part is missing
making the piece unusable. We also have a few students who are transitory.
If they disappear with the part do we buy the whole thing over?
I am not against this but they will need to compensate by putting
double sets of parts. To have to call a publisher and hope
they still can print and send you a 2nd Baritone part or whatever
seems an annoying situation. I do think no band should play from "borrowed"
photocopied parts but to make extra copies is not unusual.
One of our cornets would have to quit playing. He take all his
music and enlarges it to compensate for his eyesight. On some of the
miniscule printing (cant the SA afford paper?) I do this.
Will arrangements will be labeled "suitable for 1st section bands with good
eyesight"
Will they guarantee to have individual parts available for 20 years or so?

I think you will find the smaller independent arranger using Sibelius or
other
software will be providing a lot of new music.

Graham J Young
gjyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gjyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hamilton Musicians Services

Weston Silver Band