Re: Child Protection Policy

Hi Peter,

Might your local social services department be a good first stopping point.
They will be responsible for vetting playgroups, childminders etc, and have
probably been involved with organisations such as the Scouting Association
in the development of their policies.

I should imagine that the main recommendation that they would make would be
that all individuals involved in extensive care of minors should be aware of
general child protection concerns (although not to any much greater extent
than the general public I guess). They may also suggest, depending on the
type of activity involved (residential courses, overseas trips etc) that a
straightforward police check should be obtained. There is nearly always a
fee involved and some police forces are quicker than others at supplying the
information.

As I write this I can almost feel the collective groan going up around the
brass band world, but I think you have raised a good point Peter. Better to
be safe than sorry, and if children are the future of the movement, lets be
damned sure that it(and them) is not jeopardised through a lack of
foresight.

I have access to lots of information about Child Protection policies in the
Health Service and if I can be of any help (however limited as I am no
expert) email me off list.

Charles