Re: Songs of Praise

--- Ron Grice <ronhg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >

> I have just finished listening to Songs of Praise
> from Todmorden.What a
> lift this has given me. The marvellous playing of
> the band with Dennis
> Hadfield was to me inspirational (sorry if I sound
> too religious) One of
> the high points was the Sop playing,obtrusive ,but
> unobtrusive ,there
> when it was needed,congrats to the player. The Eupho
> section in Blessed
> Assurance was tops and reminded me of the very best
> of Hymn arr. by S A
> arranger Norman Bearcroft.

I agree- The band sound wonderful whenever i have
heard them play. The only problem is that even though
i live in the town, i rarely hear them play anymore.
There has been a big fuss in the town recently, which
o won't go into, but part of it was about how Tod Old
hardly ever play at anything- they are to busy with
'more important' work. They were even conveniently
forgetting to hold their annual concert in the Town
hall until the fuss started in the paper.

> This band and it's
> conductor deserve all the
> success they are currently enjoying.

They deserve it because they have been practising like
mad to complete their rise in the sections over the
last few years, but the community has suffered. IT was
Tod  old who introduced me into the world of brass
bands, and Dennis who scared me into practising hard
enough to get to a good standard for my age (gr7/8 at
16) and anyone who has known/played under him will
understand that! But they no longer have a junior
band, so they have very little local talent for the
future which they could have been building up.

> Having visited the U K something
> like 12 times in the last 20 years following the big
> names in your
> counties Lanc/Yorks I must have missed gems like
> this in a lot of
> village concert halls. Anyhow,enough, may success
> follow you and not just
> in the contest arena but in bringing pleasure to the
> listeners at your
> concerts
> Ron.

In their annual concert, they played many technical
pieces, but everyone i have talked to about it said
that it lacked entertainment value. I remember when i
was even younger than i am now (about 7) i went to a
concert and they played fun music that I liked and
they got all the kids joining in clapping and dancing.
But this was serious music, and even though i hate to
say it, boring.
I owe alot to dennis, and would love to one day play
in my home town's band, but at the current rate it
won't mean anything to be playing in the band, because
no one locally cares about it and has no pride in it.
This is not a personal dig at any one (especially not
dennis! he's great in a good mood)but i just thought i
should voice he general opinion at the moment.
       Ellen Davies
	 (euphonium)
PS: This is the second time I have written this letter
because the computer crashed, so it has lost some of
its origional passion. I think you get my point though!

====
The world is a dangerous place to live in, not becauseof the people that do evil; but because of the people thatstand by and let them do it.
     Like This Internet Resource? Click to Recommend-It (r)