OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM WHITBURN BAND - 27 AUGUST 2001

Whitburn Band would like to publicly record their dissatisfaction at their
disqualification from the Land O=E2=80=99 Burns contest held in Troon on Sat=
urday the
25th of August.

To the best of our knowledge, the decision to disqualify the band was taken
during the contest at an ad-hoc meeting of the Scottish Amateur Brass Band
Association Executive Committee although no invitation was given for the ban=
to be represented at any stage of the decision making process.

Two days after the event, we remain uninformed of the details of the alleged=

irregularity and the band would like to stress that all actions taken prior
to and during the event, were discussed and approved by the relevant senior
members of the Scottish Amateur Brass Band Association Executive
Committee.Whitburn Band awaits clarification of the alleged irregularity and=

will submit an appeal against disqualification to the SABBA Executive
Committee as soon as that information becomes available.

The band has a long and distinguished history and it has represented the
Scottish brass band movement with great distinction on literally hundreds of=

occasions over many years. Dishonesty has never played apart in our
activities and we deeply resent the damage to the band=E2=80=99s reputation
that this
incident has already caused and the implication that we have attempted to
deceive on this or any other occasion.

Kenneth Crookston
President =E2=80=93 Whitburn Band.