Re: Re: Loud Bands

The other side that I did not mention in my post which Steve Marcus brought up was the incredible pianissimos of the top bands. The bands that can
play  amazing ffs can also play amazing pps, something no brass band which I have heard in North America does. Neither do any North American bands
match the ffs. Brass Band of Battle Creek can play loudly but it does not sound at all like a Black Dyke ff. It is interesting that my orchestra
conductor never asks me to play as quietly as I would in a brass band but often asks me to play as loudly. The orchestra has so many textures to
work with whereas in the brass band we have only a few so more attention to volume variations can make the music more interesting. None of that of
course means that bands whouldn't temper their volumes for the setting.

Dave.