Re: Re: A topical proposal

Thanks to all of you who submitted responses to my "topical" proposal. Just
a few prologial comments:

Firstly, I was surprised at some of the responses. The PO (Consignia, or
whoever they at the time of going to press!) are obviously not the only way
to get the parts to the bands on time... there are plenty of reliable
couriers out there who would be more than willing to take on a small
contract to guarantee that the package arrives on the secretary's doormats
at the correct time!

I was not, however, surprised at the old "buy-a-band" comments made. Of
course, some of the members of the band (including myself) have received
travelling / accomodation expenses from the band, and the committee works
hard to support this by hiring out the bandroom facilities to support this.
(On one night during rehearsal week, one of the rooms was used for Karate
lessons, and on the night before the contest the whole facility was hired
out for a wedding reception!)
But come on guys! Many of the top bandsman are on salaries! There are
certainly lots of players who have to claim travelling expenses from their
band to financially justify them turning up to rehearsal... Desford isn't
the only band in this camp, is it?

Although our rehearsal time was comparitively short, it was certainly
intense. The band still couldn't get anywhere near the piece by Thursday but
the Major worked us incredibly hard to get the performance that we did. I am
certain that there is no better band trainer / polisher in the business..
the man truly is an inspiration, and we all look forward to the challenges
that Major's interpretation of Masquerade will offer to us.

As an aside, I too would like to follow up on Big Martin's comments about
the 1st section result. As a former member of Staffs, I was gutted at the
result that they got last year and they have responded to the challenge in
the best possible way.. congratulations to Staffs and to David Maplestone!
Also, congratulations to Jackfield for achieving Championship section status
to probably the most enthusiastic, entertaining bands in the business.

Once again.. thanks, and see you in London!

Steve Bailey
Desford

PS: Can we have two weeks for the Nationals?