Re: Marching with a snare drum

Hi,

I remember having the same trouble when I first marched with a snare.  I
found that with practice over time you learn to move your leg with the
motion of the snare drum as you march, so the drum is leaning on your leg
and moves with your leg (if this makes sense).  Your drummer may just have
to march around his back yard alot to get used to it.  I wouldn't have the
drum dangling too low down though.

Marching with any percussion is a challenge.  The bass drum is too heavy.
The cymbals make your arms tired.  You need horses for timpani.  The bell
lyre is another story altogether.    I have now left the marching caper to
my younger fitter colleagues.  (Unless they give me a triangle).

Vicki
Percussionist - on indefinite maternity leave
City of Greater Dandenong Band