Re: Re: AREA TEST PIECES......

I think Keith is right.

If our movement is in a downward spiral with fewer bands, lower entries at
contests (therefore increased costs to the organisers, leading to fewer
contests...) don't you think that the Federation et al should be doing all
they can to make it easer for bands who are going through a sticky time to
continue.  That should include choosing music which is accessible - if
challenging - to the least able band.

The spread of ability is greatest in the fourth section (and possibly also
in the championship section in some regions) so it seems important that we
look after those who are most in need of support rather than those who are
hunting for promotion.

Despite the gradual increase in standards over the last few decades, the
fourth section is still the entry level for bands and in some regions -
including Yorkshire - the entry in the fourth section Areas is very low.

If I was in charge (which thankfully I'm not!) my vision would be that every
band in the country could enter their area contest - making the National
Championships a bit like the FA Cup is to football.  That might mean the
provision of a fifth section or a redistribution of the better fourth
section bands into the third section, but beginners by definition always
start at square one and they're as much entitled to our consideration as the
big boys.

	NJH Sheet Music, bandsman.co.uk/music.htm,
	Prima Arts, quality music for quality bands, www.prima-arts.co.uk,
	Toot-Sweet, instrument repairers, www.toot-sweet.co.uk,
	Free e-mail address with spam and virus removal, bandsman.co.uk/mail.htm

this list, send a plain text mail to listproc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the following
body (not subject):