Re: What to do with a sop ?

Steve,

The soprano has one of the most important parts in the band, adding colour
and depth to pieces. As a tenor horn player I can understand your concern
at your son's choice to opt for the sop but it is important to remember
several factors :

Firstly, the sop player needs great skill and resolve to count all the bars
rest and wop out the high notes accurately and loud enough to drown the
cornets.
Secondly, at least he has chosen it - it'll mean he'll enjoy it and be less
likely to give it up as he might with an instrument he doesn't like.
Thirdly, don't panic - it might just be a passing phase - hang in there -
he might discover as he matures he isn't so suited to it or he doesn't like
it, gets bored etc. We all have great ideas at 12 and I most of us change
them later on.
Finally, it's worth remembering the sop and flugel are 2 instruments that
lots of people would love to play but very few have the sound and ability
to do it well, so if he's lucky enough to be good at it then give him a
slap on the back and congratulate him :-) If he sounds like a strangled cat
then support him whilst showing him the other options - the tenor horn is a
great instrument !!!

I'm sure your note will provoke an interesting debate into instruments and
instrument choice but you're not a band if you haven't got all the parts so
someone has to play them :-)

Nikki Hudson
Tenor Horn player for Royal Spa Brass and The Band Factory.

--

	NJH Sheet Music, bandsman.co.uk/music.htm,
	Prima Arts, quality music for quality bands, www.prima-arts.co.uk,

this list, send a plain text mail to listproc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the following
body (not subject):