Information request...

Greetings from tropical Guernsey. Just before going home for a
cocktail on my patio at lunchtime, I have a couple of questions,
which I am sure will not prove too problematic, considering the
fount of knowledge we have available on this site.

One of my euphonium players has developed arthritis, mainly in his
hands, and it seems to be developing at a rapid rate. His problem
is, that he finds the valves on his, (newish) Sovereign
increasingly more difficult to depress, and his speed playing is
also suffering, he has great hardship with semiquavers or
equivalent at 116bpm and above.

I remember when I was a youth, (yes I can recall that long ago), I
had a baritone which had half valves, is there anything produced
these days which match this in the euph range?

Also, has anybody had any experience with the continental rotary
valve euphs. I am sure they are lacking in tone in comparison to
our euphs, but this player has such a wonderful tone, that I am
sure he would not lose too much with a smaller bore.

The sad thing is, he is only in his 40's, and becoming more and
more frustrated, he is considering giving up, which I feel sure he
will regret, so I am prepared to try anything to help him out.
After all, music is supposed to be a pleasure, unfortunately,
because of his medical condition, it is becoming a toil for him.

I would welcome any suggestions, but before any medical advice is
forwarded, he has tried just about every available treatment, and
as with all sufferers, he has good and bad days.

I look forward to your replies, and wish you all happy banding. We
shall see you at the Whit marches in June!

Simon J Applegate LDBBA
Musical Director
Guernsey Concert Brass
www.guernseyconcertband.org.gg

Conducter - Adjudicator - Composer / Arranger - Teacher - Copyist

Telephone - Home - 01481 - 728999 (ansaphone)
	    Mobile - 07781 - 102714
	    Office - 01481 - 727548
	    Fax - 01481 - 712345
       Home e-mail: simon.applegate@xxxxxxxxx - OR
	    guernseymariner@xxxxxxxxxxx
      Office e-mail: simon.applegate@xxxxxxxxx

--

	NJH Sheet Music, bandsman.co.uk/music.htm,
	Prima Arts, quality music for quality bands, www.prima-arts.co.uk,

this list, send a plain text mail to listproc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the following
body (not subject):