RE: Information request...

I am not able to give you any advise on walves on euphonium et.al.

But -please forward my thourgts an experience with my arthritis, if you feel it'l help him in any way!

As I said, I too suffer from cronical arthritis in both my hands -and I play the trumpet fairly-
I have been out of musical circulation for some 15 years when i chose to start up again.
When I started again, I had the diagnosis. Knowing that my hands wount be any better than they where -I still, chose to begin. The music ment too much to me!

My experience are the same as his. In the beginning (aprox 10 y ago) I found it incresingly tougher to use my trumpet. It hurt when holding it and it hurt when I used the walves!
I spoke with doctors, wise guys and whomever I came across. -Only one person gave me a solid advice, which I use to day. I too found the sichness to increase rapidly, and I too did almost give up!

Only almost!

We must train and use our hands regardless of pain, aking or stifness. The more we train our fingermuscels the easeyer it wil become to ignore the pain. Use a ball -squise it repeatedley until it hurts -and then one more time -but only one more time. We wil never get rid of the pain, but it can be diminish to a level where we can live with it -and play our instruments. This is not done overnight, therefore encurage him to go on -Your musicians need all the support you can give him, expecially when he plays with pain. He might find himselv to be less good than before, but it wil come back again when he learns to handle his pain!

The feeling when playing still overrules the pain!

I for one do not stop until my fingers grow stif! -I'm 50 now and I have no plans of stopping.

Good luck!

Leo from DK

--

	NJH Sheet Music, bandsman.co.uk/music.htm,
	Prima Arts, quality music for quality bands, www.prima-arts.co.uk,

this list, send a plain text mail to listproc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the following
body (not subject):