RE: Death Or Glory

Brian Stride wrote:

> Based on the response to this question it would
> appear that the change of name, from 10th Regiment
> to Death Or Glory, was a marketing decision.
> Presumably, the powers that be determined that
> 10th Regiment of Albany March would not sell in
> the British Commonwealth, but Death Or Glory would.
>
> Is this a safe assumption?

Who knows?

My own feeling is that if R. B. Hall had wanted his march to be known as
"Death or Glory" he would have titled it as such, and that it was
inappropriate for B&H to take it upon themselves to re-name the march.  (I
feel the same way about Carl Fischer's decision to publish Julius Fucik's
"Entry of the Gladiators" under the title "Thunder and Blazes.")

ON the other hand, here I sit writing brass quintet, woodwind quintet and
brass band arrangements of other people's music, when they didn't compose
them for these particular ensembles.  Maybe all arrangements are
inappropriate as well?

I remember asking my school band director whether he thought Tchaikovsky
would be pleased that someone had arranged some of his orchestral music for
band; the director answered that Tchaikovsky would probably rather that his
music be played by a band than not played at all.  I hope that R. B. Hall
would feel the same way about "Tenth Regiment," and would rather that all of
Boosey's customers know it as "Death and Glory" than not know it at all.

Jim O'Briant
Bayside Music Press
Gilroy, CA

--

	NJH Sheet Music, bandsman.co.uk/music.htm,
	Prima Arts, quality music for quality bands, www.prima-arts.co.uk,

this list, send a plain text mail to listproc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the following
body (not subject):