Re: That time of year!

I agree with Colin Randle's thoughts that Arthur Butterworth's Passacaglia on
a Theme of Brahms won't be an all time classic test piece. But although I
agree with his conclusion I disagree with the sentiments that lead to it!
Still that's the good thing about music - different people can have different
opinions each is as valid as the other.

It is interesting to note that Arthur knows that the piece won't strike a
chord with many players and find a piece in their heart and in this I agree
with him - he says it's because the piece lacks Razzamatazz and because
Brahms is out of favour with bands (Arthur's words not mine). Furthermore he
says that he knows that it's too serious to be accepted in brass bands.

I fell in love with the work when I was lucky enough to play at what I believe
to have been the premiere on Hampstead Heath in a massed band's concert of
Faireys and Imps. That must have been 5 or 6 years ago now.

It is most important that all conductors, and preferably all players,
familiarise themselves with the last movement of Brahms 4th Symphony (a point
underlined in the notes which accompany the score). Butterworth's piece came
out of a conversation with James Watson when both men agreed that one of
their favourite pieces was Brahms 4th. He decided to put together a piece
that Brahms would have written for brass band had history been different. He
took along the first 100 bars to Desford and was talked into finishing the
work.

The Brahms is a set of variations on a theme by Bach. Arthur has inverted the
Brahms to produce a ground bass, using a German 6th instead of a dominant
7th. He has used the harmonic devices of Brahms which is why to some ears it
may sound out of date, therefore there is some "restraint of style" which
helps to capture the style of Brahms, but as Butterworth says "even styles of
the past have a life of their own".

Bar 381 is the only literal quote of Brahms in the piece.

Butterworth's Passacaglia (please note the 'g' is silent) is to my ears a
rarity: a test piece that on first listening works as a piece of music that
makes me want to go out and conduct it. The only other brass band piece I can
recently think of that has had the same affect on me is Elgar's Severn Suite.
Sadly I'm taking a 2nd section band to the areas this year so will miss out
on what is a golden opportunity for conductors and players in the 1st
section.

-Nigel

--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Conductor, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Barnsley, UK.  ICQ#20252325

--

	NJH Sheet Music, bandsman.co.uk/music.htm,
	Prima Arts, quality music for quality bands, www.prima-arts.co.uk,

this list, send a plain text mail to listproc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the following
body (not subject):