RE: Re: Missing Part

A question was posted:

> > Also, can anybody suggest any methods to stop
> > the kids losing their parts?

To which David Smart replied, in part:

> Staples are good!!  :-)

> For junior bands ... we've worked on the idea that
> there is no sin (and probably no illegality either)
> in working off photocopies while the originals sit
> in a locked cupboard in the bandroom.
>
> These tended to be school-based bands, so the
> copyright laws are a bit different.

Of course copyright laws differ in different countries, but this would
be questionable for brass bands or wind bands in the USA.  US copyright
law has been interpreted to hold that sheet music is a consumable item
-- if you use it enough, it will eventually wear out and have to be
replaced -- and doesn't allow educational institutions to copy more than
excerpts from works.

Some small publishing houses on this side of the pond (including mine)
have begun selling arrangements that include a score and ONE copy of
each part; the buyer is also purchasing permission to make as many
copies of the parts as needed, for the purchasing individual or ensemble
only, but permission to copy the score is specifically denied.

This permits a band to keep the originals in the files and to rehearse
or perform from copies that are easily replaceable if lost.
Theoretically, it also means that the band in the next village (assuming
they're honest) will purchase their own score and parts.  Extra scores
are available for purchase, but not so cheaply as to encourage piracy of
parts.

This is especially useful for school wind bands in the USA, where the
number of players on a given part may vary widely. The director can
legally make a zillion copies of the flute part (always far too many
flutes, it seems) without infringing upon copyright.

Jim O'Briant
Eb Bass, The Pacific Brass
Owner, Bayside Music Press
www.baysidemusicpress.com

--

	NJH Sheet Music, bandsman.co.uk/music.htm,
	Prima Arts, quality music for quality bands, www.prima-arts.co.uk,

this list, send a plain text mail to listproc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the following
body (not subject):