Re: Brass Band and Harp

I would respectfully disagree with Aaron.

In the past (particularly during the mid 19th century) there were many
arrangements of symphonic music written for other instrumentation.
Beethoven's 1st symphony for small wind ensemble is one example that comes
to mind.   There were string quartet and quintet versions of other symphonic
works, some written by the original composers!  There is certainly plenty of
precedent for arranging music for other groups.

I, myself, while listening to classical music radio or watching Classic Arts
Showcase on TV find myself thinking how this piece or that would arrange
well for brass band.

Clearly, we can't emulate the tone color of a string section, or perhaps the
range of the flutes or clarinets, but we can do other interesting things
with the music that I''m sure the composer would have been happy with were
he/she alive today.  (of course, there are some really GHASTLY arrangements
of some pieces that should never have been written, IMHO....but we shouldn't
throw out the baby with the bathwater!)

My two cents (US)

Guy Clark
Soprano cornet
Chicago Brass Band (USA)

--

	NJH Sheet Music, bandsman.co.uk/music.htm,
	Prima Arts, quality music for quality bands, www.prima-arts.co.uk,

this list, send a plain text mail to listproc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the following
body (not subject):