RE: Arrangements and original music

David,
You raise some very good points regarding arrangements and original music,
something that is discussed at times when we are standing at the bar after
rehearsal, when of course lots of sensible conversation takes place.
I love to hear original music for brass played at concerts, however we need
to deliver what our paying customers want, an example of this.
She who will be obeyed (the wife) came along to a concert performed by
Leyland band. she thought it was terrific, because most of the music was
what she knew.
We went to a concert given by Black Dyke, I thought it was tremendous, some
fine test pieces and orchestral arrangements, she does not want to go to one
of their concerts again.
We played a concert some months ago, the band in general thought the
programme boring, at the interval we were approached by a man who wanted to
book the band for quite a prestigious concert on what he had heard, He said
that they used to enjoy the band that had played for his organisation, but
they had gone to highbrow and the music was too heavy, and they wanted music
the type of which we had just played.
Which way do we go? Play for ourselves or the public.
George Fairhurst,
Pemberton Old Band.
P.s.
The joint concert we played seemed to go down well when you were over here.
especially your piece the formation of a band, (is it in print and if so
where can I order it from)

--

	NJH Sheet Music, bandsman.co.uk/music.htm,
	Prima Arts, quality music for quality bands, www.prima-arts.co.uk,

this list, send a plain text mail to listproc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the following
body (not subject):