Re: Arrangements and original music

David Guion makes some useful points. It does seem that band programmes are based on arrangements of one sort or another rather than original works and that's a pity. It may be a reason for the band movement not being taken as seriously as it might in some quarters. Perhaps it's been proven that audiences don't want to hear much original music, certainly of the more musically challenging type, unfortunately. I remember a particular Listen to the Band radio programme some months ago which contained some of the lamest so-called pop songs I think are in recent use. What may work to a singer's advantage (where personality and staging often make up for total lack of a good tune) is unlikely to succeed as a brass band arrangement. To me such arrangements are futile and boring and do nothing to advance respect for bands.

Brian Bowen

	NJH Sheet Music, bandsman.co.uk/music.htm,
	Prima Arts, quality music for quality bands, www.prima-arts.co.uk,
	Toot-Sweet, instrument repairers, www.toot-sweet.co.uk,
	Free e-mail address with spam and virus removal, bandsman.co.uk/mail.htm

this list, send a plain text mail to listproc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the following
body (not subject):