Re: Re: Arrangements and original music

Brian Bowen wrote:

> David Guion makes some useful points. It does seem that band programmes
are based on arrangements of one sort or another rather than original works
and that's a pity. It may be a reason for the band movement not being taken
as seriously as it might in some quarters. Perhaps it's been proven that
audiences don't want to hear much original music, certainly of the more
musically challenging type, unfortunately. I remember a particular Listen to
the Band radio programme some months ago which contained some of the lamest
so-called pop songs I think are in recent use.

Hi Brian.....

You make a very good point.  We should always offer our audiences something
originally written for brass bands.  And, we must always try to educate our
audiences in the process.  Having said that, I think a good program should
be balaced with other items including solos or feature items, classical and
popular things such as Broadway or well arranged "Standards."  As you put it
so clearly, there are too many  "lame so-called pop song" arrangements.
There is no accounting for taste, is there?

There is a wealth of good quality choices available if one wants to really
make the effort to look around.  Arrangements like Goff Richard's "Disney
Fantasy" and Philip Sparke's "Girl I Left Behind Me come to mind.  Warner
Bros. new catalog has many wonderful new arrangements that are starting to
show up on programs now.

Your cornet solo "Italian Holiday" written for Roger Webster is a great
choice for a concert.  Sadly, it's not known because it's still in
manuscript.

For interest sake, I would be curious to see some concert line-ups for
a well balanced program from some of the listees. Say, 12 items.  Let's see
how many original pieces are selected for a program ... and how many good
arrangements are included.

Regards,

Mark Freeh

--

	NJH Sheet Music, bandsman.co.uk/music.htm,
	Prima Arts, quality music for quality bands, www.prima-arts.co.uk,

this list, send a plain text mail to listproc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the following
body (not subject):