Re: Re: TEST PIECE RECORDINGS

Hmmmm...

Aaron Lloydd wrote: "I take your point that there's any number of different
interpretations of any piece of music BUT to say that adding percussion not
written by the composer is one of them is incorrect. This is not a matter of
interpretation, but actually a breach of the composer's copyright (making it
technically illegal)."

Is this correct, that recording a work with 'alterations' is illegal? Now I
don't like to point out mistakes on recordings, but instead tend to
appreciate the music for being a performance and the players for being
human! But does Aaron's statement mean that we can now look forward not just
to criticism, but also to prosecution? If so we might as well just do away
with our form of music altogether, or was that a matter for the licensing
bill!

I enjoy variety in interpretation, in all styles of music. Take two
orchestras with two conductors, guarantee they'll have major differences in
interpretation. They will probably research with recorded music as well as
text written about their programme items, and they'll probably seek advice
from others who have studied the works before.

But don't just stop there. My most recent contest experience was playing
Suite Gothique a couple of weeks ago at Norwich. (Excellent day Brian, and
well done Stansted too!) And yes there are recordings of the piece and yes
we listened to them. But we also listened to recordings of the original
organ work, played in both the French and English styles, and we discussed
with MDs and players who'd experienced the music before, and on the day we
also sat an listened to others playing it in their own way. I hope we
learned a lot on the way to the contest, but I also think we learned
something on the day which will help next time round.

Mike Thorn
www.greatyarmouthbrass.org.uk

--

	NJH Sheet Music, bandsman.co.uk/music.htm,
	Prima Arts, quality music for quality bands, www.prima-arts.co.uk,

this list, send a plain text mail to listproc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the following
body (not subject):