Deportment and adjudication

Dear All,

I'm writing on behalf of the Oxford and District Brass Band Association. We run a number of contests each year, one of which is an entertainments contest, and at which we award a prize for deportment. I wanted to get a general overview of opinion from the list about a number of points regarding the adjudication of this.

Historically, we have always used two adjudicators - one for the music, and another specifically to judge deportment. I'm of the opinion that this is a little extravagant to say the least, and I wondered what other associations do in this regard? Is it reasonable to expect an adjudicator to be able to judge the music and the deportment simultaneously? We booked a well-known (and to remain nameless!) adjudicator last year who managed to do both, but said that he was only prepared to give extremely cursory attention to the deportment side of things, which he did adequately. However, if there are any other adjudicators on this list I would appreciate their opinions - would you be prepared to judge both aspects of the performance? If you do manage to judge deportment at the same time as the music, are you able to give it full attention or not? Does it merit a 2nd adjudicator after all?

Secondly, what would you reasonably expect an adjudicator to look for in a deportment prize award? I know historically this was that the band lift their instruments together; all look smart with polished shoes etc, but I was recently at an entertainments contest and at least one band put on a programme that involved numerous costume changes and dancing around the stage. How would one be expected to mark that for deportment against a band that went for a traditionalist approach?

I look forward to all your opinions!

Thanks
Dave

***
David Roberts
Contest Secretary
Oxford and District Brass Band Association

--

	NJH Sheet Music, bandsman.co.uk/music.htm,
	Prima Arts, quality music for quality bands, www.prima-arts.co.uk,

this list, send a plain text mail to listproc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the following
body (not subject):