Re: N.A.B.B.C.A.

Eric Longford Jessop (by way of Eric Jessop) wrote:

>Hello Nigel, I wondered if any of the readers/contributors to the page would
> be interested in an idea I had recently to start a new organisation aimed at
> getting amateur composers and arrangers' music played/published. It would be
> the National Assn. of Brass Band Composers and arrangers. There must be
> hundreds of people out there in the brass band world who would love to get
> their work out to the general public, and an association like this could
> possibly help them to do just that. If anyone is interested, could they
> please register by writing to the site. we could take it from there.
>--

Hi Eric

I can't speak for Nigel however being a (semi) professional composer
however I would be most keen about this. Although I have written  mainly
orchestral works(e.g. Bassoon Concerto in Bb), I have arranged popular
and more up to date music for our Band- to wit Startrek Voyager Theme
and the Simpsons just to name but two- there is many more to be
arranged, composers willing. The big stumbling block is getting a
license to do this, however by paying a modest fee, this fulfils the
Copyright obligation. One composer was delighted that I found interest
in his compositions and has given me written carte blanc to arrange his
work for both orchestra, brass and concert bands; something I'm most
grateful for.

Copyright is the major hurdle to overcome, and this obstacle  tends to
put paid to many a budding composer/arranger.

My Bassoon Conc is going to be performed by the Bendigo Symphony
Orchestra mid Sept. To date I have composed two symphonies, these being
in F Major and in Eb Major, plus numerous works in Rondo form and Poems
based on well known hymns.

There must be budding composer out there just waiting to have the chance
of having their music both published and played irrespective whether
said person is a brass player or not.