Re: Re: N.A.B.B.C.A.

Hi Larry.....

What do you mean "stealing from the composer?"

I want to correct your thinking here.

I have several pieces published in the Salvation Army and do not receive
one penny in royalties.  Unlike every other publisher in the world,The
Salvation Army
does not give their arrangers and composers royalties.  They perceive this
as a "gift"
to the Army and request that you sign a form that relinquishes all your
rights forever.  Eventually the Army will not get good composer/arrangers to
write for them for this
reason. This is not a fair practice.  (It's already happening)

Some of us make our living by writing and that's takes money right out of
our pockets.
When I think about writing for the Army, my first thought is about not
getting royalties
and I decide not to write.  I can write for Warner Bros. and receive a fair
royalty.
I have talked to other writers and they feel the same way........
Take someone like Erik Leidzen who was the ultimate professional band
arranger/composer and think how much money he gave up writing for the Army.
Yes, it was his choice but I'm sure he could have used the money. He went
through
some tough times before and during the war when he was writing all that
great music
for the Army.

I grew up in the Army but that doesn't mean I should not get what I am
entiled to.
I don't know how the Army gets around it because basically it's in the law.
In other areas, the Army is very generous with their money.  If a guy is a
fund
raiser for example, they will pay him very well to raise money.

I just want to set the record straight.... making copies of Army music is
NOT "stealing
from the composer"  Arranger/Composers who write for the Army get nothing.
By the way, I am not bitter...... I just don't want to "give" it away.

Mark Freeh

"Larry White" wrote:

"I have had many problems with the copying of music in the S A for years.
I do not take kindly to it, and feel that sure it is okay for a band to buy
a set of
music and copy it for their own use but that is the end of it."

"To copy music however, to give to another band in my estimation is plain
stealing from the composer and publisher."