RE: SA Green Carol Books

  • To: <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: SA Green Carol Books
  • From: "Judith Hayes" <judith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:03:26 -0000

Brian wrote:

<snip>"I am on the look-out for any old Salvation Army GREEN carol books. I
have purchased a set of the new red books but I prefer the old green ones."
</snip>

Ah Brian, the old ways are the best eh? ;-)

We keep a set of the green carol books which we reserve for our "walking the
streets" carolling, when they might get drenched. We use the red ones for
our undercover work (I mean inside, not spying). The oldies always like to
use the green ones because they can try to remember which carol is which
number in the old books (simple pleasures!). But the red books do have
Frosty the Snowman, and you can't argue with that!

Tom S said the US white books are the same as the green ones for the first
so many carols - well this isn't the case for the UK red books - the
arrangements are broadly the same, but some have been tinkered with, and
there are extra fancy bits added, for the flugel and euphs particularly (how
it should be!) However, new trombone part for "Brightest & Best" is just
_not right_!!!!

Also, there are one or two arrangements which make perfect sense to
SA-trained players, with not entirely clear DC and DS markings but intended
apply to verses and choruses... however our band can't cope with that, so
when we play things twice through, Rudolph, for instance, always gets chorus
verse chorus, chorus verse chorus... oh joy, I can hardly wait.

Enough now, I have to go for my first Christmas dinner of the season...

Sorry, we don't want to sell our green books - unless you make us a
ridiculous offer of course (which was the point of this email!)
Judith