Questionnaire for submission to list

Hi -

My name is Colin G Dance â?? a  conductor of and performer in brass bands. I am
undertaking some research in  order to write a dissertation for the final
level of my degree course, and I  need your help. Please answer the questions any
way you can â?? just as long as I  get the information! Please note that the
questions do not necessarily represent  my views.

Thank you for taking the time to complete this  questionnaire

ACCRINGTON AND ROSSENDALE COLLEGE

BA (HONS)  BAND STUDIES COURSE

BRITISH BRASS BANDS â?? THE PERCUSSION  STORY

QUESTIONNAIRE

SECTION 1 â?? PLAYERS AND  INTRUMENTS

QUESTION 1
Please state the name, contesting region and  National Contest Grading of
your band (or answer â??non-contestingâ?? if  appropriate):

QUESTION 2
How important is percussion  to your band?

Very  important	     Quite  important	    Not  essential
		 Unimportant

QUESTION 3
How many  percussionists do you regularly have attending  rehearsals?

QUESTION 4
Do you have percussionists who  only attend when required for concerts or
contests, or are guests from other  bands, and if so, how many?

QUESTION 5
Please list  which percussion instruments your band  owns:

QUESTION 6
Please list other  percussion instruments that your band borrows or rents (if
 applicable):

SECTION TWO â?? THE MUSIC

QUESTION  7
Does the scoring for percussion have any implications for your bandâ??s  choice
of music  purchased?

QUESTION  8
Does the scoring for percussion have any impact on your bandâ??s concert
repertoire?

QUESTION  9
What is your viewpoint about the current trend towards scoring for three or
more percussionists in some modern  works?

QUESTION  10
What is your viewpoint about the traditional bass drum, side drum and
cymbals  approach?

SECTION  THREE â?? CONTESTING

QUESTION 11
How many times per annum does  your band enter contests?

QUESTION  12
Which is the most important contest that your band  enters?

QUESTION 13
What  is your view on contest organisers supplying the major percussion
instruments at  contests?

QUESTION  14
Is the supplying of major percussion instruments at contests common  practice
in your Region?

QUESTION  15
What are the problems, if any that your band has in preparing contest  works
where there are large demands on the percussion  section?

QUESTION  16
Do you share the view that percussion players are not given the same level
of scrutiny as brass players are by adjudicators at  contests?

QUESTION  17
Do you share the view that percussion parts at contests are only given  full
credence in the higher  sections?

QUESTION  18
Do you share the view that percussion should not be used at all at  contests,
as it only serves to detract from the  music?

QUESTION  19
Please offer any other views or opinions you may have about percussion as  it
relates to  contests:

SECTION  FOUR â?? HISTORICAL MATTERS

QUESTION 20
How long has your band  been in existence?

QUESTION 21
Has the issue  of percussion or percussionists ever caused any difficulties
not covered in  earlier  answers?

QUESTION  22
Has promotion to higher sections in the contesting arena had any impact on
percussion instruments and/or percussionists in your  band?

QUESTION  23
Has your band always had the same level of percussion instrumentation or  has
it changed over the years, and what, if any were the reasons for  change?

SECTION FIVE â?? THE  FUTURE
QUESTION 24
Does your band operate a training scheme for  percussionists?

QUESTION  25
Does your band have any plans to purchase major percussion instruments in
the future, and if so â?? what  instruments?

QUESTION  26
Do you share the view that the role of percussion is too demanding in the
modern brass band and that the movement should return to more traditional
values?

QUESTION  27
Please offer any other views or opinions you may have about the role of
percussion within the brass band  movement:

May thanks for  completing this questionnaire. Please email it to me Colin G
Dance  at:
Ssupersop@xxxxxxx