Re: RE: Bringing brass bands to the(classical-minded) masses. Or not, as the case may be....[Scanned]

  • To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: RE: Bringing brass bands to the(classical-minded) masses. Or not, as the case may be....[Scanned]
  • From: Bill Buffam <brass@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 11:17:27 -0500

Severn Suite? Now there's a good suggestion. You know, I'd fleetingly
considered it and subconsciously rejected it. Back in an earlier life in
this list, I kicked off a thread on Severn Suite (3 Apr 97), with my
feeling that it wasn't up to Elgar's usual standard. But on reflection,
it *is* Elgar (and therefore imbued with legitimacy) and a lot of it is
quite thinly scored. So I'm leaning toward giving it a shot.

Another thought I had was to present works that allow me to point out
the tonal qualities of particular instruments. Not knowing what a
euphonium sounded like, for example, was a source of difficulty for the
students in following my program notes. I'm thinking the Horovitz
Euphonium Concerto would be a good way to solve the euphonium problem,
and Ron Goodwin's Suite No. 1 for Brass (as recorded by Sandstorm) has a
very good illustration of the tenor horn sound, not to mention some
killer tuba playing.

Bill