Re: Bringing brass bands to the(classical-minded) masses. Or not, . ..

I might try the Arnold. By chance, it's also on the CHAN 4553 CD I
mentioned earlier.

Interesting suggestion about overtures. I'd long been locked into a
mindset about sticking to original works for brass. But I've been
thinking for a while now that it's time to rethink that fixation. I
think the brass band movement really suffers from all those years of
dreadful Gems of This or That Opera that our (great-) grandfathers used
to play. In trying to live down those earlier years I think we've let
the pendulum swing too far. We shouldn't regard a faithful transcription
(and I think this is important -- the hack jobs do us no good at all) of
a good orchestral piece as somehow second rate. For example, for my
money Frank Wright's transciption of Berlioz Les Francs Juges is even
better than the original -- and I've listened to both versions (with
scores in front of me) many many times. In particular, that extended
dreamy theme in the middle, which is played by 2* (flute + clarinet) in
the original, sounds so much sweeter and compelling in Wright's
2*(cornet + horn/flugel) transcription (but then, as you say, there's no
accounting for taste).

Now before anybody jumps down my throat for heresy, let me swiftly point
out that transcriptions played by *orchestra* are considered perfectly
okay. So why is it that we in the brass band movement have such an
inferiority complex about them? Here are some examples: Holst's Fantasy
on the Dargason -- orginally for wind band (2nd Suite in F), and then
straightforwardly repurposed for string orchestra (St Paul's Suite).
Ireland's Comedy Overture, Holst's Moorside Suite -- both written for us
brass guys and then recycled for the orchestra (*string* orchestra in
the latter case). I could go on, but I won't. Except to mention Severn
Suite. There, I'm done.

Thanks for the reply, John.

Bill