Salvation Army Brass Ensembles

	I'm forwarding a question from a bandmate:

"I have noticed an ensemble pattern in the Salvation Army silver bands
when they form a mini band for "chamber band" situations like Christmas
carol music on the street corner. These groups always seemed to be
comprised of 2 cornets, 2 trombones, 2 euphoniums, a tuba and a bass drum."

"Is this a coincidence, or is this some sort of standard ensemble
configuration? If it is a standard ensemble, what parts do they play?"

	The gist of the question is, how are the parts distributed among the
instruments in the ensemble?  Is the music in four parts, like SATB
(Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass) choral music, and if so, which instruments
cover which parts?  If not an SATB scheme, how would you describe it,
and again, which instruments play what parts?

--
Gene H. Chan					 genechan@xxxxxxxxx
Burnaby, BC, Canada				 gene_chan@xxxxxxxxx