Re: The Messiah for Brass Band & Chorus

 <head>
 http-equiv="Content-Type">
 </head>
 be able to direct you to the music.<br>
 Just a thought.<br>
 On 2011-08-28 7:39 PM, Connie Varner wrote:
 cite="mid:XMB-RCD-1022DTqudA700000111@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
 type="cite">
 I do not know of any source for a brass band transcription of
 these
 movements, but I might suggest that, if you have someone in your
 band who
 is reasonably talented with music editing software (Finale or
 Sibelius),
 they might create a transcription for you.  Taking orchestral
 parts
 and putting them into brass band voicing is not a terribly
 creative task
 -- violin parts go to the cornets, the viola parts go to the
 tenorhorns,
 the cellos parts go to the euphoniums, etc.  Of course, you need
 be sensitive to the needs of the singers -- don't have everyone in
 the
 band playing at once, or you'll drown them out.  And you should
 stay
 in the singers' keys.  The band will find this the most
 challenging
 part of the effort, as singers usually sing in some very
 brass-unfriendly
 keys.<br>
 If you ever want to do Mozart's "Requiem Mass," with brass band
 accompanying choir and soloists, get back to me on that request
 and I can
 help you.<br>
 Good luck with your project!<br>
 Connie Varner<br>
 Triangle Brass Band<br>
 At 08:30 PM 8/28/2011, you wrote:<br>
 a board member
 of the Houston Brass Band, a British-style brass band in
 Houston, Texas
 USA.  We have been asked to perform 2 or 3 parts of The
 Messiah with
 the UN Choir, a Houston-based chorus.<br>
 choral
 arrangement of The Messiah and that the National Youth Brass
 Band of
 Great Britain had it.  I contacted them and found that they
 had an
 arrangement done by Dr. Denis Wright, founder of the
 NYBBGB.  Dr.
 Wright died in 1957 and all of his manuscripts are owned
 exclusively by
 the NYBBGB.  They have only one copy of the manuscript and
 it was
 never published.  The earliest the copy could be
 borrowed/rented
 would be 2013.<br>
 the chorus can
 use this December.  The UN Choir wants to do the <b>Halleluia
Chorus,
 For Unto Us A Child Is Born, and the Amen Chorus.</b>  I
 found 2 of them in the R. Smith and Company online catalogue
 but the
 folks at R. Smith and Company told us this: <br>
 "Although they work for Brass Band, I would not recommend them
 for
 use with a choir, as no thought of choir parts would have been
 taken into
 account when the arrangement was made."<br>
 another source
 for this music?  Any suggestions will be greatly
 appreciated.
 Thank you very much.<br>
 Board Member<br>
 The Houston Brass Band<br>
 1406 Kelving Way<br>
 Wharton, TX 77488<br>
 USA<br>
 href="mailto:jdblair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>
 jdblair@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</a><br>
 <a moz-do-not-send="true"
 href="http://www.houstonbrassband.org/"; eudora="autourl">
 www.houstonbrassband.org</a><br>
 href="http://www.unahouston.org/?q=content/home";>
http://www.unahouston.org/?q=content/home</a><br>
 <b>
 "Be who you are and say what you feel.... Because those that
 matter... don't mind... And those that mind... don't matter." </b>
--
-
-