Remembering Barrie Perrins

Discussion of playing techniques. What do you think of different instruments and accessories?

Highams

Remembering Barrie Perrins

Post by Highams »

Some of you youngsters may not know that name but Barrie was a legend from the late 50's through to the 80's. He toured most of Europe and even the USA way back in 1962.

He was Euphonium Champion of G.B. in 1964, 69, 70 & 71 and was euphonium tutor to the NYBB of Switzerland.

He was in Hendon at the same time I was in Hanwell and was one of the great characters of banding. I received some old recordings via one of his old school chums and his widow and have put these onto a CD;

Recordings of live performances in Holland & Switzerland, circa 1968. With orchestra;
Track 1; Mozart Bassoon Concerto, movement 1, Allegro.
Track 2; movement 2, Andante ma Adagio.
Track 3; movement 3, Rondo, Tempo di Menuetto.

With piano accompaniment;
Track 4; The Swan, Saint-Seans.
Track 5; Facilita, John Hartmann.
Track 6; In Cellar Cool (Drinking), Bilton.

With the Hendon Band, Don Morrison;
Track 7; Liebesleid, Fritz Kreisler. (1980)
Track 8; The Harmonious Blacksmith, Ord Hume. (1973)
Track 9; Facilita, John Hartmann. (1971)
Track 10; Allegro from the Bassoon Concerto. (1980)

Unaccompanied, following a Hendon band rehearsal, recorded on reel tape by Len Atter in 1962;
Track 11; Carnival De Venice, Remmington.

If you would like a copy, email or pm me a landmail address and I'll forward one on.

Cheers,
CB
Aspire & Be Inspired
njh
Site Admin

Re: Remembering Barrie Perrins

Post by njh »

Barrie was principal euphonium with Hendon when I played horn with them in the '80s. Somewhere I probably have some photos of the band of the time.

My main memory of him was over the concern of the name of the band when we became sponsored by Laing.
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Clinician, Composer, Typesetter.
NJH Music, Laurel, MD. ICQ#20252325 twitter: @nigelhorne
njh@bandsman.co.uk https://www.bandsman.co.uk