Re: alternative instrument for a horn player

On 25 Apr, David W. Buckley <davebuckley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've known Mark for 30 years and he has consistently tried to expand the
> brass band envelope while doing interesting things with the music that
> remain playable. Anyone remember "Manhattan Brass?" Adrian I do not know
> but clearly he knows his brass bands and his big bands.

Maybe I should introduce myself. My musical upbringing was as a cornetist
though the brass band movement and I don't think there is any better
training than this for any young brass player.

After I left school I decided to try and make it in the professional field
and was very lucky in making enough money to squander on food and
essentials. My first love has always been the big band scene. My biggest
achievement was to become part of the Maynard Ferguson (jazz trumpeter
from Verdun Quebec) British Band as bass-trombonist and arranger. Some of
you may have heard my charts for this great band during the early '70s.

I retired to Scotland in '74 to work with the BBC Scottish Radio Orchestra
which was another important stepping stone in my career. When the BBC
sacked all of its provincial light orchestras I found a renewed interest
in writing for Brass Bands. I have been lucky enough to have my music
played by many of the top British bands and anyone who has played any of
my charts will probably notice the Big Band influence coming out.

One of my latest contributions was to the Yorkshire Building Society "Cry
of the Celts" CD.

I guess I have always had Brass Band blood in my veins.

Adrian.

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.gemscore.demon.co.uk/