Re: alternative instrument for a horn player

Thanks Mark for a very interesting discussion. The most enjoyable I have
had for some time.

I have to state that some of the statements I made in my previous message
were not necessarily my preference, but the general trend in brass band
writing. I have tried all kinds of experimentation such as the kind you
have mentioned, eg., cornets written in 10 independent parts, tubas in 4
parts etc. Some of it has worked, some has not (mainly due to absenteeism).

On 28 Apr, <brassman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am currently doing Four Brothers (Woody Herman) for 2 euphoniums and 2
> Eb Basses.

I'd love to hear that one. I have scored this title for big band with a
front line of flugelhorn, alto sax, tenor sax and trombone, instead of the
original Woody Herman 3 tenors and bari sax. Worked well too.

> There are countless scores where you will find 4 part harmony with the
> 2nds and 3rds.

Including some of mine.

> I try to give the back row special things to play and lots of
> mutes...... good experience for them.  I never write down to them

That is the way it should be, though I find the safest way is to divide
the front row into 2, have half play with the 2nds and half with the 3rds,
especially when writing in 8 parts (2 sections of 4). This is necessary
when all of the weakest players are placed in the back row, something I am
definitely not in favour of.

> > The Sop is certainly useful in a solo capacity, or to support the top
> > cornets, or extend the range a further octave.

> Octave???? maybe 3 notes.......

I think you misunderstood my bad choice of words here. I should have said
the soprano can double the Bb's at the octave, when it is unsafe for the
latter to play that high.

> Adrian..... The repiano is one of the most useful players in the band.
> He and the 1st baritone are the most underated players in the band. The
> repiano player is the leader of the back row. Perfect for octaves
> sitting right next to the soprano. He is like a 2nd Principal
> cornet..... good for solos and experienced with mutes.  can double with
> anyone in the band while the solo cornets are busy.  When I write
> incidental jazz noodling (written out) I always put it in the repiano
> part.

I can tell you have strong views on this, completely opposite to mine.

> I would never sacrifice the repiano..... and you just said earlier that
> 2 baritiones and 2 euphoniums were not a match...... 2 flugels and 2
> euphoniums are not nearly as much of a match if your talking about
> balance but it would be interesting.

The flugels are a better match in tone quality, if not not in range. The
ideal would be to fill the gap with a couple of alto flugels, but I have
never seen such an instrument.

> ... but here again, the repiano could double on flugel to give you that
> if you want it..

That would be the ideal solution. I have gone back to the ancient method
of scoring the rep and flugel together in the hope that it might be
performed by 2 flugels. If this does not happen, its not the end of the
world.

> > One more trombone?

> That's my one pet peeves although the Salvation Army uses 5 trombone
> players usually and sometimes go into 5 parts....  (a luxury)

Oh yes!, now we're into the world of Stan Kenton. Don't plant any more
ideas in my head, I would be quite happy to settle for 4.

> Kenton tried mellophoniums,

I once owned one of those, made by Conn, interchangeable between F and Eb.
Lovely instrument, but no match for the french horn.

> Sauter Finnigan and Johnny Richards used a tuba.... but 22,000 high
> school bands and 7,000 college big bands are still 4 trumpets, 4
> trombones, and 5 saxes.

I was under the impression that much published big band music was now
scored for 5, 5, 5 and rhythm, and that many school and college bands used
the extra brass, and even tuba. I have written and broadcast charts for
big band plus tuba and 4 french horns and recently used some of these in
the Glasgow Academy of Music.

> Rob McConnell uses 2 french horns in his big band

Love that band!

> but what does that have to do with the standard big band instrumetation.
> North Texas State has 13 big bands..... all the same tradition
> instrumentation.

I understood that North Texas were the guardians of the former Stan Kenton
Band library. Do they not use this music?

> The symphony orchestra has every kind of missmatch and match but it
> works because of the composers. You are talking "apples and oranges."
> The brass band is basically one family of instruments..... a total
> match.

Well exactly. Symphony orchestras, wind bands and big bands can adapt to
amuse a composer's whims and desires, so why not the brass band?

> Adrian.... I would like to meet you some day.  If you ever come to New
> York City, look me up... you have a place to stay.......

Only if there's a guinness pub nearby :-)

> The rest of you guys on the list will have to find your own place,
> Adrian and I will be hanging out.

That's OK, they don't drink guinness.

> P.S.  Sorry this was so long......but it's the only subject I have ever
> responded to....

..and the most fun I have had since I subscribed to the BB list.

Cheers, Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.gemscore.demon.co.uk/