Re: Causing health troubles..

~Ellen~ wrote on Saturday, April 14, 2001 9:12 AM:

> I play a Besson Soverign Euphonium, and although i am very pleased with
the
> sound it produces, it is playing havoc with my hand!
> One of the first valve slides (the one at the back where my hand is)
presses
> against the pad at the base of my thumb and seems to be making it bruise,
> and also causing it to dry out. It hurts when i hold things between my
thumb
> and 1st finger, or when i put any pressure on my thumb.

Hi Ellen.  This is the first valve compensating tube.  It is tucked well in
behind the main tubing and I find the only way I can get my hand in contact
with it is to hold the instrument bolt upright or even leaning to the left.
If you lean the instrument more to the right it will automatically create a
gap batween your hand and the tube.  Also, lifting your right elbow slightly
more will help.  Both these suggestions may feel strange to start with, but
you will soon get used to it.

I really think you are holding the instrument at the wrong angle - are you
by any chance a converted bass player?  :o)

HTH
Peter