Trumpet/Cornet Mouthpiece Sizes

Hi,

I was just wondering what size mouthpieces any trumpet or cornet players
use, as I have been having a bit of trouble with my cornet one recently.
I've only recently started looking into different mouthpieces, so my
knowledge of the differences is pretty limited.

I play with a 7C on my trumpet, having recently upgraded to a Strad, but my
cornet came with a very small mouthpiece (Yamaha) saying on it it was an 11
E4. Now I didn't know at the time, but I've realised recently how poor this
is. Playing at county youth level, it is not possible to get a decent tone
or volume out of it, but I always put that down to my playing. I was
recommended to get a 3C, so I have ordered one but it is taking an age to
arrive.

I think the 3C will be a vast improvement, but I was wondering what
experienced players would say was best for a 15 yr old playing at county
youth level (trumpet or cornet.)

Any advice or views would be greatly appreciated, I feel that it would help
my playing further.

Thanks a lot, and sorry to have gone on so much!

Paul Valentine,

Principal 2nd Cornet, Staffordshire Youth Brass Band.