RE: Trumpet/Cornet Mouthpiece Sizes

Paul, this subject has often been a feature of the list.

last year as I was looking to move to a deeper mouthpiece for a better tone,
I tried to do a survey of list members with a view to sharing the results on
the list.  Unfortunately I got only two or three replies, so the results
were meaningless statistically and I did not publish them.

Firstly I, and I am sure most other players would recommend that you try a
few before you buy, rather than just ordering one.  It is ultimately down to
personal taste and how you find it to play.

Having said that I do not think you will get a good cornet tone from a
Vincent Bach mouthpiece, although the 3C will be easier to play in the high
register than a deeper Dennis Wick.  the Bach is just too shallow and the
bore too narrow to give a broad cornet tone.  The 3C will still make your
cornet sound like a trumpet.

For a better tone try a Wick 4B, which is one of the most popular models,
having a medium deep cup.  After the Bach 3C it will take you some time to
master it particularly in the high register, which it will undoubtedly wreck
at the beginning, but it will come back and the difference in tone will be
significant.

>From the survey results I did get back, I get the impression that front row
players in top bands play on a Wick 4 or possibly even deeper.  I moved from
a Wick 4B to a 41/2(4.5) which like the 4 has a deep cup, but it is slightly
easier to play than the 4 and gives a great rich tone.  Nevertheless it took
six months to get the top register and stamina back to around where they
were before.

In conclusion Paul, go try some mouthpieces and make your own choice.  My
view is that you will never have a good cornet tone playing on a Vincent
Bach mouthpiece, but ultimately its down to you after you have heard all the
advice and tried for yourself.  There's no magic answer.

Best of luck
Harry Ibbotson
Front row cornet
Tadley Concert Brass