Re: Trumpet/Cornet Mouthpiece Sizes

My mentor and authority (also a darned fine player and owner of a music
store) suggests that everyone should start with a 3C or equivilant.  The 3C
is open enough to allow development of the lip and control.  It also produces
the best tone.  He preaches that the smaller mouthpiece allows for increased
range but sacrifices quality.  I bought a 7C to "hit the high notes" and it
is true.

I knew of a High School trumpeter who bought a 1C and loved it.  He developed
control that suprised him and his teacher and what a range.  He swears by it.

What I did when choosing a mouthpiece was went to my music store
mentor/friend and he gave me a box containing all of the mouthpieces that
Bach makes in a kit that comes from Bach.  I understand Schilke does this
too.  I spent about three hours trying different mouthpieces in his lesson
room and settled for the 3C.  I have not regreted it.