RE: Trumpet/Cornet Mouthpiece Sizes

Hi Paul

The type of mouthpiece you use depends on various things really; the style
of music you play, the type of sound you need to produce (ie. solo or
tutti), and your embouchure but mainly it's up to personal preference.

Myself, I use a Bach 1C on my trumpet because most of my playing is
symphonic, so a large cup diameter allows a broad and solid tone. But if you
play lighter music (ie. Big Band/Jazz/Avant Garde) then a smaller mouthpiece
may be more suitable. Also, a smaller mouthpiece may well be better for high
trumpets (I use a Bach 2 on my D/Eb).

Playing the cornet, I've tried various mouthpieces and I'm currently using a
'Lewington McCann' mouthpiece (apparently, these where issued with the
Yamaha Maestro cornets when they first became popular so I don't know if you
can purchase them now). I've generally found that the best option is to go
for the largest mouthpiece you can comfortably manage to play on (this is
what I was taught and it works for me), but you need to allow yourself at
least a week or two to try a mouthpiece out.

I didn't realise there was so much to say on mouthpieces!!

Hope this helps

Regards

Nick