RE: Trumpet/Cornet Mouthpiece Sizes

Hi, Paul!

My recommendation is to go with as large a rim diameter as you can handle as
well as deep a cup as possible.  I would avoid like the plague a Bach C cup
mouthpiece for work with a brass band cornet.  I will concede that a C cup
might be useful on a soprano cornet, but I'd rather not use one if I can
help it (I expect to be subbing on Eb sop this summer on a few occasions).

The front row of my band (the Illinois Brass Band) all use Wick 2B
mouthpieces (my wife plays a 2BW with a wider rim, but otherwise identical
to the 2B).  There is a smattering of 2 and 4 rim diameters in the back row
and some without letters (even deeper than the B cup!)  It seems to work for
us (having just won the NABBA championship ;-) ).

These large, deep mouthpieces are alot of work, and if you are not yet a
strong player, they might give you difficulties in the high range, but you
should have no difficulty when playing within and below the staff.  The
benefit of all the extra work is a much more characteristicly mellow cornet
sound.  I use a straight 2 when I am playing a lyrical solo type of piece
either in band or in orchestra to get even more mellowness.   Give yourself
a few months of constant playing with the Wick mouthpiece and I'm sure
you'll be much happier with your sound.

These are, of course, my opinions and worth what you paid for them!!!

Guy Clark
solo cornet, Illinois Brass Band