Re: Trumpet/Cornet Mouthpiece Sizes

Interesting comments Dave. In the past I would have agreed with you about
sounding the same after a while on new equipment. After all part of what comes
out is created in our heads, maybe a major part. However, I am also a believer
in learning to put the air in the horn properly and let the equipmemt do its
thing. We hace a bunch of young umiversity trumpet students playing with us now
and that is how they are being taught. They are producing a warm, non-trumpety
cornet sound that way. Ultimately, a player will also be much more secure when
this is what they do. Having said that, it is just amazing what variety of
sounds players can achieve on the same equipment. Russell Gray played at NABBA
on Saturday. Did the Harry James Trumpet Concerto, a slow melody written for him
by a Norwegian and the Post Horn Gallop. He is the last concert player I would
have expected to do the Harry James convincingly but he did and then played the
slow melody in an easy, free flowing style without vib. Totally different
styles, same equipment and neither with his traditional old fashioned vib.
Actually had way more vib on the post horn which surprised me. Very interesting.

Personally in the last 2 years I have changed mps and also put a Callet leadpipe
in my Bach 36 trombone. Definitely made a difference in the long haul.

Takes all kinds I guess.

Dave.