Re: Trumpet/Cornet Mouthpiece Sizes

I thought I might also add my theories and experiences to this debate.

I started on 2nd cornet at the age of 9 and moved to soprano at age 11.
Without disclosing the number of grey hairs on my head I can admit that I
have had over 40 years of experience in pursuing the elusive and magical
mouthpiece that will provide the best of all worlds in allowing the most
perfect control over sustained pianissimo through neat and clean staccato to
a brilliant full and tuneful high register.

I have begged, borrowed, sed, bent, lent, and even made my own
mouthpieces out of a bronze pin from a truck differential. Result is I
possibly have more m'p's than most music stores.

I found while starting my Sop playing on a Besson & Co cornet of the high
pitched small bore vintage, that the "standard" of mouthpiece was a Cosy Cup
1   S. Later I moved on to a Boosey & Co. Sop, which was converted to low
pitch, but still small bore. It was then that I realised I was up against
some larger bore Bb cornets and went on the search for a magical cure and
settled on a Bach 7EW mouthpiece. This poor old mouthpiece ended up in a
lathe and drill chuck and ended up somewhere equivalent to a Bach1. at
about a 17mm  and deepened cup.  (I found that although the EW cup, which
was quite shallow, was ok for the upper register, I suffered in endurance
and it took superhuman effort to control the lower and softer sustained
notes found in sacred works).

I decided now that it was time to talk to the experts and share my
experiences.
Surprisingly I found that if you ask, there is a vast amount of help
available through the people at Warburton Mouthpieces in the USA.
 (http://www.warburton-usa.com/_vti_bin/shtml.dll/default.htm/map)
My contact there was Ken Titmus who discussed all that I had learned with me
including my own personal characteristics. It was then agreed that a
moderate deep cup (coincidently similar shape to the old Cosy Cup) of still
around the 17mm with a medium backbore and firm cutting edge was what I was
aiming for. This worked fine but I have now moved on to a larger bore Sop
(Kanstul) and found that the air was escaping into the instrument without
the desired amount of backpressure. Solution was to fit a tighter backbore
to the mouthpiece.

I can draw a parallel with racecar drivers who will experiment with his car
until he has gained the most potential from it.. however.at the end of the
day, and not unlike a brass musician, it is finally up to that person to
complete the equation.

My summary and opinion (personal of course) is as follows:
1. Don't select a cup that is too small - endurance will suffer.
2. Avoid shallow cups - intonation, endurance and sustaination problems.
3. Obtain exchangeable back bores to allow for interchanging with trumpet.
4. When you have found a cup size that does not let you "pinch" notes and
allows you to	 have control over soft sustained lower notes - work
with it and STICK TO IT.

Have a nice day  (*!*)
Mike Argentino