RE: Fw: NABBA CONTEST Rules

A while back there was a post about how North American Bands were getting to
the point where
they would compete in Europe. This substitution rule is a crutch that would
be
hooted down there.

> > In considering substitutions at the NABBA Championships I would note
> > that this is not an advantage for most if any bands. We would definitely
> > be more not less competitive if we used only our 30 best players and
> > left everyone elso home.

So contest with your best. It's a long drive and a lot of work and money
 to not show me the best you can do.

But substituting fresh lips is not the only cheat.
A person who is only PLAYING one piece really  only has to PREPARE one
piece.
Do all 45 rehearse all three pieces and then reduce the numbers just on
contest day?
I'll bet not.
If you are going to mark the performance over 1/2 hour the endurance is
a function of that. Substitutions make that a joke. I distinctly remember
wishing
I did not have to play Mephistopholes before Essence of Time but I had cope
with the whole
30 minutes. this meant preparing for that.

Easy way out
1. Only mark the test piece for the standings. You cannot substitute during
a single piece.
And the test piece must be the first item played. You could give comments
for the others.

or

2 Deduct one mark for every substitution (2 marks for soprano,bass trombone
or flugel)

The first would actually make it a contest that latter would end
substitution.

> > Instead we to allow every regular member in good standing (we have about
> > 45 total) to particpate by perfoming on at least one of our three
> > numbers. This is done in the spirit of comradery and without regard to
> > the clearly negative impact on our ranking.

If you want a festival
of comradery then do not mark the results.

Brass bands have defined instrumentation of 25 brass and percussion.
not 30 or 40 or 45 players. 45 Players is practically a mass band.
You are only 5 short of 2 bands. Why dont you have the less skillful
players form a lower section band for the contest? This comes from a
what I perceive to be a North American
misunderstanding of the term "band" which might lead some to think
there is a correlation between a Brass Band which is a highly structured
ensemble and a "concert" or "wind" band which can mean just about anything
from
30 to 100 players.

 45 people are a brass choir or a massed band or a community band but
they are not a "contesting" band.
A contesting Band in the British tradition is not 45 people it's 25 plus
percussion.
Even that is frowned upon but the older players who remember when you
couldn't use
a cymbal crash to cover up sloppy runs and articulation.

If you want a fair event you make the rules even and apply them
to keep the playing field even.

Our band doesn't carry 15 subs so when we tire a the end of thirty minutes
we are at a dissadvantage to a band who does.
This rule favours bands with large membership rolls who can do this cheat.
And believe me to some of us that is the only definition for substituting
fresh players, cheat. If you want 45 people to play take off the rule that
allows
30 maximum on stage (which should include percussion and the conductor)
Then if you wanto play with 45 on stage you could.

I personally do not really like contests and prefer a festival.
I'd rather go to the GABBF at Danville. In my opinion
when you change players in a contest you have a different band.

How do you give one mark to three bands?

Graham Young
Hamilton Musicians Services
gjyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gjyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Celebration Brass - Weston Silver Band
Symphony Hamilton - McMaster Chamber Orchestra