Re: Fw: NABBA CONTEST Rules

Hi Stephen. Just to clarify, the rule re subs has been in place at NABBA since
its inception because bands were few and far between and the organisers did not
want to discourage participation. That is still the reason for its retention -
it has nothing to do with stamina or lack of stamina. I brought it up because I
feel that NABBA is now well enough established to reconsider the rule.

As you also state there are significant differences between North American and
UK band sounds. First and most easily noticable is the lack of real pps and ffs
from North American bands. The difference in warmth is primarily a result of
most NA cornet players coming to the instrument via the trumpet. Some adjust
well but many still try to make their cornets sound the same as their trumpets
making quite a difference in the general band sound. Having said that, the
principal cornet for the Illinois Brass band produced as fine a cornet sound as
you would want to hear, warm, mellow and with a most subtly controlled vib. Any
contesting band would have been happy to have him. Several other differences -
NA tubas come from orchestra or concert band backgrounds, lacking the chamber
ensemble requirements of the brass band. Also troms over here will seldom if
ever play as loudly as your UK horns who have to balance up against massive
resources with only 3. They would be drummed out of any music school I know if
they did. (As an aside to that, I heard 4 young ladies from the Northern School
of Music play at Utrecht. Afterwards I suggested that none of them had come
from brass band backgrounds. There reply: "Two of us did but you soon get that
drummed out of you at the school".)

Ad to that the fact that brass band playing is all about ensemble, balance,
blend, tuning - basic chamber music elements whereas to date most NA bands that
I have heard seem to have been focussed on the technical demands and you can
understand why we sound different. But NA bands are improving and no doubt will
sometime match yours. When? Who knows. If the rate of progress of the 1st 19
years continues, sooner rather than later.

regards.

Dave.