Re: Fw: NABBA CONTEST Rules

I should clarify that not all NABBA bands substitute players (or "shuffle" as
it's been coined).  My band doesn't, never has, and most NABBA bands don't.
I personally wouldn't want to compete that way, as I feel that it can
negatively affect a performance.  I think that the players that come on for
the second piece won't be at the same level of mental concentration as those
that have been onstage the entire time.  This opinion is obviously not
universal throughout NABBA and I mean no offense to the bands that practice
this.

My understanding of the bands that compete in this fashion is that they carry
extra players for rotatation throughout their yearly concerts.  This helps
accommodate the member's personal schedules.  When it comes time for
competition, the music director is just trying to keep all regular members
involved.  It has nothing to do with physical endurance, as far as I am
aware.

Amy Nelson
Illinois Brass