Re: Fw: NABBA CONTEST Rules

Dave,

It seems that you have opened up a can of worms here but I'm glad to see the
discussion about brass banding in North America.  The movement is growing...
and the quality of the bands!  Quite a bit different from what we first
heard when the NABBA competition was in Toronto a few years back, wouldn't
you say?

I agree with you about the substitution rules.  If you are going to compete,
then there should be a level playing field.  Our band played in the
Exhibition class in Arlington (comments only) because we couldn't field a
full team for the competition and had to find subs just to be able to
participate.  About a third of our band we met for the first time for one
rehearsal the day before the competition.  As a matter of fact, our
percussion section was borrowed from another band and sight read the entire
30 minutes on the day of the competition!

We were glad to be there and to be able to take part.  Besides, it was fun
playing "on the edge".  I do enjoy the competition aspect, though.  How
about a new category for "Internet" bands?

It was good to hear some good music and see some old friends (well, not THAT
old, Richard).

Thanks for your postings, Dave.

Jim Gayfer
Baritone