Oh...What A Perfect Day!

Hi there listees,

What an interesting weekend it has been.  Personally, I was  wagging
with my hometown band Bedworth Brass in the park this Sunday.  After a
week or more of glorious weather, Sunday was rather less glorious as we
were permanently contending with a minor hurricane that was sweeping the
area.  However the band played well, nothing spectacular in the grand
scheme of things, but judging by the nice comments we received from the
punters our efforts were well appreciated.

After arriving back home I sat down to eat my tea and to watch Songs Of
Praise.  What a magnificent effort it was too by all concerned - and
moreover - what a delight to see the banding movement portrayed in such
positive, happy, terms.  Well done to all concerned - from the experts
on the stage to ALL participants on the floor who make up the vast bulk
of our movement.  Such joy and enthusiasm is hard to come by now, thanks
again folks.

Feeling a warm glow inside I switched on this magic box and logged in to
the ever improving 4BarsRest to see what was afoot!  Ah.....The Masters.
 It would be interesting, although impossible, to compare the opinions
of the correspondents to those of the actual adjudicators - however - if
ever the vagaries of brass band contesting were laid bare this system of
adjudicating proves the point.   Contesting, in general terms, is a
matter of taste not of absolute science.  Any one of those highly
respected three judges opinions I would individually respect - but -
even they can't agree across the board as a panel.

And, for all those of you who are convinced you alone know the answer to
it all; be it having the alphabet after your name, 50 years experience
or maybe being a famous player, think on....  Jack Nicklaus once said of
golf, "....it isn't a fair game... it was never meant to be".  Maybe
he'd make a good brass band adjudicator!

At the end of the day, the thought struck me, of all the banding
activities one could have partaken in on Sunday, which one gave the most
pleasure to the most people?

Sincere congratulations to B & R.

Oh.......what a pageant it all is.

Colin Randle.