Re: A number of questions

Hi,

I changed my embouchure about 7 years ago. I was 16 so I was still having
regular lessons with a tutor so I don't know about any books. What does it
involve? A mirror, a lot of patience and a lot of frustration!

The problem was that the top lip either side of the mouthpiece was pushing
out over the bottom lip. This resulted in a naff tone and a general
inability to get anything above a top G. I was about grade 7/8 standard but
decided to change teacher and it was he that suggested that the embouchure
should be changed. Basically I started from scratch all over again, but with
the embouchure in the desired position. This was ensured by watching the
embouchure in the mirror until sufficient confidence was gained that the
embouchure was holding. To start with I could only get up to middle G and
exercises were mainly long notes and slurs (much to the frustration of my
parents and neighbours). It took two years to go from starting from scratch
to taking my grade 8.

Unfortunately my embouchure has now slipped back as I have not practised
regularly at university. So it obviously necessary to keep it in check now
and again

Regards,

David Gosling

Systems Engineering