Re: Nationals Test Piece

>I'm afraid tot say that is just a typical remark from a brass player.
>
>Have you heard or seen the parts to the piece?  No!!!! And neither has
>anyone else.
>
>Why don't you ignorant.....

OUCH! lighten up! There's a lot of great percussion music out there.
I'm just not sure any of it would make good test pieces at a brass
band contest. Even if it belongs on stage in a brass band concert
there is a line somewhere that needs to be drawn that leave the brass
band firmly at center stage for any work that's used to JUDGE brass
bands. For my own taste that line would be just this side of
Katcheturian's Saber Dance if it was written for brass and
percussion. You're right, I haven't heard this work either but I know
enough that 16 PARTS doesn't usually mean 16 PLAYERS in the section.
This may be a brass band peice with very effective percussion and
then again it may be percussion with brass accompaniment. I'll be
interested to hear.

Personally I'd be more interested in hearing about a trend in SHORTER
test peices.